[alsa-devel] Backported sbxfi driver (UNTESTED!)

Jason Harvey softdevice at jasonline.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 19:32:19 CEST 2008

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:23:22 +0100,
> Jason Harvey wrote:
>
>> Takashi Iwai wrote:
>>
>>> Fixed and uploaded now.
>>> It might take some time until the changes are sync'ed.
>>>

>> Thanks, downloaded, patched fine.
>> Attached dmesg_modprobe.txt shows output before playing anything.
>>
>> No sound now using  the oss workaround "echo mplayer 0 0 direct >
>> /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss"
>> Mplayer starts but doesn't increment shows 0% 0seconds etc etc, it can
>> be interrupted ctrl-c, the PC remains functional, just no sound.
>> dmesg_after.txt is the tail end of dmesg after interrupting mplayer, I
>> trimmed it as the first couple seven lines repeat for about 330K in the
>> original log :)
>> Instant reboot when trying mplayer without the oss workaround.
>>

> OK, so the patch doesn't help, and it brings another problem.
> What about debug=2?  This will give much less log, I guess.

debug=2 is still too big to see the start of playback.
If I can get the buffer big enough to find the beginning I'll post it :)

>> aplay -Dplug:dmix:0 wn.wav still works.
>> Trying mplayer after aplay freezes the machine with no output onto the
>> console.
>>

> Even with OSS proc hack?

Yes, if I aplay first it locks up entirely when I issue OSS proc hack
then run mplayer.
Without running aplay I can get a dmesg but mplayer makes no sound.
I've put the debug=1 output along with the commands etc below.

Regards, Jason

[root at sentry ~]# modprobe snd_sbxfi
debug=1
[root at sentry ~]#
dmesg
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:04:01.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ
22
SBXFI: INIT
HW

SBXFI: INIT
DAC

SBXFI: SETUP
I2S

[root at sentry ~]# echo mplayer 0 0 direct > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
[root at sentry ~]# mplayer wn.wav
MPlayer dev-SVN-r26936-4.3.0 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz (Family: 15, Model: 4, Stepping: 9)
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

Playing wn.wav.
Audio file file format detected.
Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1536.0 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 192000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [pcm] afm: pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
AO: [pulse] Init failed: Connection refused
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
*** Is your sound server running?
*** See: http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/Troubleshooting
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Connection refused
AO: [oss] 96000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A:   0.0 (00.0) of 241.0 (04:01.0) ??,?%

MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: play_audio

MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: play_audio
[root at sentry ~]# dmesg
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:04:01.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
SBXFI: INIT HW
SBXFI: INIT DAC
SBXFI: SETUP I2S
SBXFI: Allocate SRC 0
SBXFI: allocated TLB at 0 for 16 pages
SBXFI: Setting TLB buffer page 0x15a2c000
SBXFI: release TLB at 0 for 16 pages
SBXFI: Disabling TLB buffer
SBXFI: PLAYBACK PREPARE: rate=96000, period_size=1024, buffer_size=16384
SBXFI: Pitch [0:fa6] = 0x1000000
SBXFI: Pitch [80:7a6] = 0x1000000
SBXFI: Pitch [1:fb6] = 0x1000000
SBXFI: Pitch [81:7b6] = 0x1000000
SBXFI: Amp [00:0001] = 0x555
SBXFI: Amp [80:0801] = 0x555
SBXFI: Amp [01:0011] = 0x555
SBXFI: Amp [81:0811] = 0x555
SBXFI: PLAY TRIGGER START
SBXFI: PLAY UPDATE TIMER
ALSA /root/alsa-driver-unstable/acore/pcm_native.c:1498: playback drain
error (DMA or IRQ trouble?)
SBXFI: PLAY TRIGGER STOP
SBXFI: PLAY UPDATE TIMER
SBXFI: Release SRC 0