[alsa-devel] 20K1 PCI bars, and mode switching info.

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 21:39:28 CEST 2008

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:34:39 +0100,
> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> Takashi Iwai wrote:
>>> The code to switch to 20k1 mode is already there.
>>> The sbxfi driver uses ioport for the access, and it looks like in BAR5
>>> for UAA boards.  This could be the problem...
>>>
>> Well I cannot find it. I can only find:
>> static void sbxfi_switch_xfi_mode(struct sbxfi *chip)
>> and that does not do the job.
>
> Well, this is supposed to be (1), switching to 20k1 mode.
(1) is a config space switch, nothing else. It leaves the UAA chip in
control of the bus master.

>> You need to do this:

> Hm, but procedure this isn't in OSS driver, too.
> Doesn't OSS driver work with UAA boards?
I do not know. I do not have access to any of the X-Fi hardware at the
moment. I am just reading the datasheets and commenting. There is also
sample code that I received with the datesheeets.

Here is some pseudo code to explain the CTLX etc. values.

WriteMemory((bar0 + 0x00003ffc),0x43544c58);  // CTLX
WriteMemory((bar0 + 0x00003ffc),0x43544c2d);  // CTL-
WriteMemory((bar0 + 0x00003ffc),0x43544c46);  // CTLF
WriteMemory((bar0 + 0x00003ffc),0x43544c69);  // CTLi

> Doesn't it mean that 20k1 chip gets the bus master automatically
> when switch into 20k1 mode from UAA mode?
(1) is a config space switch and PCI IDs switch, nothing else. It leaves
the chip in UAA mode. (2) is the real mode change.

> Anyway ,20k1 mode switching is a mess.  This may screw up also the
> internal room-keeping of struct pci.  Maybe we can't do it without
> switching but just master mode switch?
I agree that it is messy. I did not design the hardware. Maybe we need
to make a suggestion on LKML so that we can make a call that updates the
global kernel struct pci once we make the config space switch. I do not
think we need to switch back from 20K1 to UAA mode. We already have
hotplug for cardbus pccards, maybe we could use some of those calls.

Kind regards

James