[alsa-devel] Nvidia hdmi problems

Nir Tzachar nir.tzachar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 16:35:01 CEST 2008

Hello,

I have been trying to get audio through hdmi to work for some time
now. I have cloned the sound-2.6 repository to get the latest drivers,
which should support hdmi, AFAIK.

Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H, with nforce 630i and realtek alc889a.

aplay lists the hdmi device:

> aplay -L
default:CARD=NVidia
    HDA NVidia, ALC885 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC885 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC885 Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC885 Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC885 Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC885 Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC885 Analog
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC885 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia
    HDMI Audio Output
null

but,
> aplay -D hdmi test.wav
aplay: main:583: audio open error: No such file or directory

fails when trying to open /dev/snd/pcmC0D3p

only the following devices exists:
/dev/snd/seq
/dev/snd/controlC0
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0c
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
/dev/snd/pcmC0D1c
/dev/snd/pcmC0D1p
/dev/snd/pcmC0D2c
/dev/snd/timer

I am using alsa-lib and alsa-utils 1.0.17 .

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks.