[alsa-devel] Microphone array using ALSA

Ola Benderius benderiu at student.chalmers.se
Mon Oct 20 13:56:18 CEST 2008

Hi!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone_array

Would it be possible to use several USB soundcards in GNU/Linux using
ALSA to build a microphone array? I have searched the Internet but
haven't found any straight answers. What I have read is that it might be
hard to sync the captured streams even if it would be possible.

So, three questions.
1. Is it theoretically possible?
2. Can it be done using several USB soundcards?
3. Do you know of any code or project in this area as it is?

Think this might be a necessary advancement for the future, the
applications are many. Even Windows Vista has support for it.

Other thoughts, comments?

Regards,
Ola