[alsa-devel] No pcm device?

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Mon Oct 20 14:40:39 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 02:34:39PM +0200, John Kacur wrote:
> I'm not sure if the hardware I have makes this problem simple for me,
> or difficult, because it seems to differ from other ASoC code.
> Basically, I have a i2s as transport, connected to max5556 driving the
> output. (and a few other chips related to amplification and muting)

This all seems very normal for ASoC - something like a stereo DAC
connected to a CPU via I2S is exactly the sort of situation that ASoC is
designed to handle.  However...

> There is however no sound card, thus no PCM device. Now the question
> is how to proceed? In other words what kind of minimal PCM layer do I
> need if any?

...the goal of ASoC is to provide a sound card to user space via the
ALSA APIs so if you're trying to do something else then there's a
massive mismatch between that and what ASoC is designed to achieve.

Could you please clarify what you're attempting to do here?