[alsa-devel] Backported sbxfi driver (UNTESTED!)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Oct 17 08:21:57 CEST 2008

At Thu, 16 Oct 2008 22:07:02 +0200,
Bjoern Olausson wrote:

> I found a site with a large range of files:
> http://bellatrix.ece.mcgill.ca/Documents/AudioFormats/WAVE/Samples.html
>
> aplay plays all files it is capable to decode. No crackel, no noise, just fine.
>
> glass.wav
> Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
>
> M1F1-int16-AFsp.wav
> Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 8000 Hz, Stereo
>
> M1F1-int24-AFsp.wav
> Signed 24 bit Little Endian in 3bytes, Rate 8000 Hz, Stereo
>
> M1F1-int32-AFsp.wav
> Signed 32 bit Little Endian, Rate 8000 Hz, Stereo
>
> M1F1-uint8-AFsp.wav
> Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Stereo
>
> stereol.wav
> Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo
>
> Utopia_Critical_Stop.wav
> Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
>
> Thought when I try to play the first one with mplayer ---> FREEZZZZZ
> Spiele glass.wav.
> Audio file-Dateiformat erkannt!
> Öffne Audiodecoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
> AUDIO: 8000 Hz, 1 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 16000->16000)
> Ausgewählter Audiocodec: [pcm] afm: pcm (Uncompressed PCM)

Then likely a problem with mplayer.  Can you check which parameters
(period_size, buffer_size) does mplayer use, and try to pass to aplay
via --period-size and --buffer-size options?

> Amarok with backend ALSA plays all files it can decode without problems.
>
> All Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 8000 to 96000 Hz, Stereo do work
> (with the same oszilating noise described in my previous post with the
> mono files [I just joned two to get stereo])

Hm, mono isn't supported by this hardware, so alsa-lib simply
duplicates the signals to the stereo.  There shouldn't be any
difference in that manner...