[alsa-devel] Issue with onboard sound on Toshiba A110-225

Travis Place wishie at wishie.net
Sun Oct 12 20:59:58 CEST 2008

Hey all,

When working out an issue for a person in #alsa, i found that the onboard
sound in their laptop (A110-225) has the Subsystem IDs 1179:ff01 . The card
has an ALC861 codec.. the issue (non-fatal thankfully) is that the above
mentioned Subsystem IDs match in patch_realtek.c to 'dallas' which is for an
ALC861VD codec..

	SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x1179, 0xff01, "DALLAS", ALC861VD_DALLAS),

The user was getting the non-fatal:

	hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC861, trying auto-probe from BIOS...

in dmesg..

I had the user force the 'toshiba' model (which is valid for ALC861) and the
warning went away, and sound continues to work as it should..

Just wanted to make sure this problem (even though non-fatal) is documented,
and we are aware of it. Perhaps this laptop, and the 'Dallas' need to be
matched on some other level.

Thanks,
Travis Place (wishie)