[alsa-devel] size of snd_hda_intel

William Pitcock nenolod at sacredspiral.co.uk
Mon Oct 6 03:04:36 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 18:19 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> >ismod
> snd_hda_intel         435,772
>
> 435,772 bytes seems awfully large for an audio driver. The large size
> seems to be due to having support for multiple codecs in the driver.
> Could a generic  hda driver load the correct codec dynamically instead
> of building them all in statically?
>
> I have a Realtek codec.

snd_hda_intel should probably be rearchitected to be similar to the way
that snd-aoa works... e.g. multiple modules for codecs, etc.

But, that's a lot of effort, and I don't personally have the hardware to
test (only one box of mine has HDA audio that I know of, and I use a
better card there), or I would start working on making that happen.

William