[alsa-devel] Query for running OSS application on ALSA

Saxena, Anshuman anshuman at ti.com
Wed Nov 26 13:52:40 CET 2008

Hi,
I have been using OSS drivers and applications. Now I have moved to ALSA SoC framework supported in the kernel. I have got the same OSS application running on this ALSA SoC framework but I have the following observation:

When I run the OSS application to playback some audio through ALSA SoC framework, and I send CTRL+C signal to terminate the application, I see a delay of around 3-4 sec before the application really close. I traced and found out that it takes lot of time in snd_pcm_drain in pcm_native.c .
But if I run some ALSA application, I do not see this delay in terminating the application.

Is there some known issue with OSS emulation of ALSA SoC framework? I feel that some buffers are being drained out to the audio codec and hence this time is consumed. Is their some configuration for the buffer size? Can I directly stop the data transfer to codec and discard the remaining data?

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Anshuman