[alsa-devel] maximum tolerable sampling frequency difference for a driver

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Wed Nov 12 12:43:55 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 05:17:00PM +0100, chri wrote:
> Let's say that the driver cannot set the exact sampling frequency
> asked via hwparms but something near (because of the granularity of
> the result of the clock division). What is the maximum difference that
> should be accepted (in Hz or in %)? I guess that there are 2 factors
> playing a role:

It's relatively application-specific - it'll depend on things like how
accurate the clocks were in the first place and what the sound is being
used for (system beeps are going to tolerate a lot more than something
doing audiophile quality stuff).

> So what difference should be accepted instead of returning -EINVAL?

If this is for the Samsung boards you've been posting patches for then a
few percent should be OK most of the time.