[alsa-devel] Intel HDA Headphones vs. Speaker Mute

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Nov 7 15:41:07 CET 2008

At Fri, 7 Nov 2008 12:43:22 +0000 (UTC),
Richard Spindler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the builtin sound card in my laptop does not behave as it should, when running
> it with the ALSA system. While there are separate mixer controls for headphones
> and speakers, the Master control levels both, speakers and headphones
> simultaneously, while the headphone control does not act at all. Also in my
> opinion the speakers should mute automatically as soon as I plug in the
> headphones, this does not happen too.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04.1:
>

> $ uname -a
> Linux monostatos 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 22:56:21 UTC 2008 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> $ lspci -nn |grep Audio
> 00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
> Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 02)
>
> If you need any more information about that machine, or if there is anything I
> can do to help fix that problem, do not hesitate to ask.

First of all, show the h/w vendor and product names of your laptop.
Then run /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh with --no-upload option, and attach the
generated file to here.

> Cheers
> -Richard
>
> PS.: I also published a lengthy rant, and some ideas about that problem at
> http://propirate.net/oracle/archives/2008/11/05/alsa-headaches-erm-headphones/

Well, there are more different things behind the problem than you
wrote there :)

- broken BIOS
- broken driver implementation
- missing preset model implementation