[alsa-devel] snd_ctl compiler warnings

Alan Horstmann gineera at aspect135.co.uk
Fri Nov 7 11:32:22 CET 2008

On Friday 07 November 2008 09:58, you wrote:
> At Fri, 7 Nov 2008 08:52:43 +0000,
> Alan Horstmann wrote:
> > The code I am working with at present includes unremarkable lines such
> > as:
> >
> > 		snd_ctl_elem_value_t *line_in_vol;
> > 		snd_ctl_elem_value_alloca(&line_in_vol);
> >
> > Building this with a cross compiler for arm based on gcc 4.2.1 gives this
> >
> > warning for the 2nd line:
> > : warning: the address of 'line_in_vol' will always evaluate as 'true'
> >
> > but an older compiler on the desktop does not show this.  Would this
> > warning be expected in these circumstances, or is the compiler being over
> > zealous? Am I missing something or is there a straightforward way to
> > avoid such warnings?  (Code runs OK).
>
> Try the later version of alsa-lib.
> This should have been already fixed.

Thanks very much.  You presumably refer to:

http://
git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-lib.git;a=commit;h=68e5771a6f7a2aae2dbd02a097719bcd25c6f307

Right now a rebuild of the working environment would be a bit tricky.  At the
next opportunity I'll see if we can apply that patch to alsa-lib (I think it
is 1.0.15 -based) and rebuild.  In the meantime the warnings are presumably
fairly harmless?

Thanks again,

Alan