[alsa-devel] State of the XFi driver on x86_64

The Source thesourcehim at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 06:44:47 CET 2008

Toby пишет:
> 2008/11/2 WILMES Andreas <administrator at webspace.ms>:
>
>> Hello everbody,
>>
>> Can someone give the current state of the driver? What are his features,
>> what is working?
>>

> I've been watching this thread for a while, and occasionally trying
> out new builds, as I have an original PCI X-Fi emu20k1.
> Everyone else seems to be reporting decent successes, but I have never
> managed it myself.
>
> Playing back sound files at any sample-rate results in a repeating
> burst of static. Adjusting the period/buffer parameters to aplay will
> cause the pitch/tone of the static burst to change, but never turn
> into anything remotely like the desired sound.
>
> I'm running this on a 64-bit system (Ubuntu 8.04 with a custom
> compiled kernel). Is anyone else having success on this platform?
>
> Thanks,
> Toby

I'm running this driver on Fedora 9 x86-64. Gives me some trouble, but
as big as yours. Most apps work fine. The problems are:
1. Wine, if uses alsa directly, causes sound to be corrupted everywhere
until driver restart. So I have to use eSound emulation of pulseaudio
for wine.
2. Only one application at a time can use sound, so I use pulseaudio for
multiple sound threads mixing.
3. Some games like doom3 can only use alsa and oss, so to redirect them
to pulseaudio I use alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, but that causes 2-second
sound delay in those games.
4. About 0.5 second sound delay is present in games that use openal
(which uses pulseaudio through sdl or esd).