[alsa-devel] Bug in sound-unstable-2.6 ice1724

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Sun Nov 2 12:30:02 CET 2008

nAt Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:08:59 +0200,
Karsten Wiese wrote:

> Hi Takashi,
>
> Am Sonntag, 26. Oktober 2008 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> > At Sun, 26 Oct 2008 17:31:02 +0100,
> > =?UTF-8?Q?Vedran_Mileti=C4=87?= wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeap, that one does it. No need to revert it fully, though. I just
> > > uncommented the unsigned char mask line and removed that #if 0 and
> > > #endif. Now it works perfectly. Thanks! Can you fix it in your tree?
> >
> > Well, before doing that, I'd like to understand the problem more.
> >
> > If the problem is about the initial IRQ mask value, setting 0 should
> > work as well.
> > Could you change the code just to do like below, and check whether it
> > works?
> > 	outb(0, ICEREG1724(ice, IRQMASK));
>
> Makes a pc hang sometimes here, while reverting the entire patch is stable.
> no midi tested though, only audio.

Hmm, that's a bad news.
Basically my change is just to disable MPU_TX irq when unresolved irqs
occur.  The detection was already there, but it was enabled only when
CONFIG_SND_DEBUG.

So, the question is, whether does the hang-up happens even with the
old code when you enable CONFIG_SND_DEBUG?

Also, a bit more detail would be appreciated -- what kind of hang-up,
whether you get the error message, or so.

thanks,