[alsa-devel] snd-ca0106

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Sun Nov 2 12:26:53 CET 2008

At Sat, 1 Nov 2008 12:22:01 +0100,
=?UTF-8?Q?Vedran_Mileti=C4=87?= wrote:

> I played with CA0106 driver a bit. I wonder if we could make it set
> name for card and chip, in similar way to snd-emu10k1 and others.
> So... in emu10k1.c we have:
> 180         strcpy(card->driver, emu->card_capabilities->driver);
> 181         strcpy(card->shortname, emu->card_capabilities->name);
> While in ca0106_main.c there is:
> 1369         strcpy(card->driver, "CA0106");
> 1370         strcpy(card->shortname, "CA0106");
> Can it be changed? I want it do display Card in alsamixer as a board
> name from ca0106_card_capabailities list and Chip name to be CA0106
> [chip->model].

Changing these fields are often dangerous and can easily break the
existing setup.  The driver field determines which config file is
used, so it should stay as is unless you want to change the config
file explicitly (for incompatibility or so).
The shortname can influence on the creation of id string, so this
change should be done carefully, too.

> Also, it would be great if we could name the four PCMs, like
> hw0,0 - card_name Front
> hw0,1 - card_name Rear
> hw0,2 - card_name Center/LFE
> hw0,3 - card_name Side (it's not unknown)
> Instead of just CA0106. Any ideas?

The PCM name can be set independently from the card name, etc.
This should be safe in most cases.