[alsa-devel] AT32AP7000 (AVR32) + WM8510

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Mon May 26 11:45:24 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 05:56:00PM -0500, Geoffrey Wossum wrote:

> First, I changed it so the AVR32 provided the BCLK and FRAME.  I could never
> get the WM8510 to generate what looked like proper FRAMES.  I did continue
> using the WM8510's PLL to generate the DAC clock.  With the AVR32 providing
> the clocks, I at least got some noise out of it.

The frame clock rate generated by the WM8510 will be 1/256 of the system
clock, which should be configured to 256 times the sample rate using the
PLL and dividers.

> Finally, I really had to lie in the wm8510 code and say that it supported a
> minimum of 2 channels, and a maximum of 2 channels.  This makes sense from
> the data sheet, since it still wants a left and a right channel of data, and
> just throws one away.

Yes, that's right.  I've applied your changes to the driver - thanks!

> I had to change the WM8510's format to say that it wanted big endian.  Should
> the CODEC (and platform and machine) be setup just to say that it uses
> SNDRV_PCM_FMTBIT_S16 instead of SNDRV_PCM_FMTBIT_S16_LE/BE?  Looks from
> sound/pcm.h this should just do the Right Thing.

Yes, it does look reasonable - I'll investigate.

> Like I said before, it generated a 44.1 kHz frame no matter the BCLK divider
> or the word length were set to.

The frame clock is independent of both those options - I assume you are
using a static system clock?

> Thanks for the help!  As soon as I get the code cleaned up some, I'll
> contribute the AVR32 platform driver code.

That would be excellent.