[alsa-devel] Building alsa drivers as part of alsa vs kernel external module

Ben Stanley Ben.Stanley at exemail.com.au
Mon May 26 06:48:12 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to compile the AudioScience driver as an external kernel
module (i.e. using the alsa in the kernel, rather than as a module
within the alsa tree).

What source code transformations can I expect to have to make?

Is there some documentation anywhere on what transformations are
performed as standard?

Or is there a proper way that the module should be written so that it
compiles both ways?

Of course, I understand that patches will most likely be required for
the module to compile against older kernels in particular. This kind of
problem is usually dealt with by autoconf. Is there a standard way of
doing this for just compiling a module directly for the kernel? I see
that alsa has its own set of autoconf macros, and when I compile
directly for the kernel (and its embedded alsa) I will lose the benefit
of that.

Ben Stanley.