[alsa-devel] Question about "control names"

Juergen Beisert jbe at pengutronix.de
Fri May 23 10:28:21 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm playing with the control names of my "snd_kcontrol_new" controls. When I'm
using "PCM Playback Switch" and "PCM Playback Volume" alsamixer shows me a
slider with a switch at its bottom. That's what I expected.
But when I'm using a second set ("line in" to "line out" bypass), with "Line
Bypass Capture Switch" and "Line Bypass Capture Volume" control names, its
confusing (BTW: "Line Bypass Capture Volume" is of type
SNDRV_CTL_ELEM_TYPE_ENUMERATED).

The "Line Bypass Capture Volume" control is shown on the [Playback] page with
the name "Line Byp" and the default value. I can walk through the enumerated
values. But the "Line Bypass Capture Switch" is shown on the [Capture] page
in alsamixer as:

  L    R
  CAPTUR

<Line Byp>

What does it mean? Problem of alsamixer or the name of this set?

Juergen
--
Dipl.-Ing. Juergen Beisert | http://www.pengutronix.de
    Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686