[alsa-devel] Will ALSA ever call _prepare or _hw_params while it's playing?

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Wed May 21 17:45:14 CEST 2008

I have an ASoC driver with a _hw_params, _prepare, and _trigger functions.  I've
recently discovered that I need to keep one of my devices disabled until
playback starts.

So I would like to know if ALSA will ever call _hw_params, _prepare, or _startup
if playback or capture is currently in process, or will ALSA first call the
_trigger to stop/pause the driver.

If ALSA does stop/pause the driver before changing parameters, then I can safely
assume the device is always disabled during those functions.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale