[alsa-devel] Incorrect model selection for HDA Intel based card.

Travis Place wishie at wishie.net
Mon May 19 17:43:31 CEST 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:09:00 pm Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 19 May 2008 04:19:14 +1000,
> Travis Place wrote:
> > Just had a user in #alsa on freenode, with an Asus P5GD1 mainboard.
> > They couldnt seem to get surround sound working at all.
> > It has an ALC880 based HDA-Intel sound device on board.
> >
> > Now, the problem lies in the Susbsystem ID's (1043:814e).
> > These match in patch_realtek.c as follows:
> >
> > SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x1043, 0x814e, "ASUS", ALC880_ASUS)
> >
> > The users mainboard (The ASUS P5GD1) actually has 6 output jacks, aswell
> > as SPDIF, not the standard 3-jacks that the "ASUS" model quirk implies.
> >
> > I talked this user through forcing the driver to use '6stack-digout' for
> > his sound device, and things all work fine now.
> Actually, this was changed originally from ALC880_5STACK for the
> exactly same mobo (changeset 4798).  I guess 6stack-digout wasn't
> tested by that user.
> So, if 6stack-digout is confirmed to match better than now, it's
> fairly safe to replace the line.  Care to send a patch with a proper
> changelog?
> thanks,
> Takashi

As previously mentioned, it appears the HG code has an entry for the "ASUS
P5GD1" mainboard. But its onboard sound vendor/device Ids dont match those of
the person i was helping. I have double checked the pastebin post, and
confirmed the mainboard model with the user though.

The _original_ alsa-info.sh run (before the model was forced to 6stack-digout)
is as follows..

There it shows the vendor/device ids as 0x1043, 0x814e .
So according to the current HG code, those IDs would select the "asus" model.
Also, in the same, current HG code, we have..

SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x1043, 0x8196, "ASUS P5GD1", ALC880_6ST)

This shows the correct model name for the mainboard, but (from my experience)
wrong vendor/device ids.

Perhaps we have to check with the person who originally added that P5GD1
quirk ?

I have made up a patch, but want to confirm all this information before
proceeding. Please let me know your thoughts.

Travis Place

Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can
feel its warmth