[alsa-devel] basic question on .pointer function

Harsha priya gupta harshapriya at gmail.com
Fri May 9 20:21:17 CEST 2008

Thanks a lot for this pointer. A quick question;

For the .pointer function, it says " This callback is called when the PCM
middle layer inquires the current hardware position on the buffer."

Does the word "PCM middle layer" mean that the MMF like Helix / Gstreamer is
continuously querying for hardware position on the buffer? Or does the
player keep querying?

I also see that this function gets called quiet a number of times. Is there
a way to reduce these calls? My guess is that to reduce the number of calls
to .pointer, MMF or player needs to be modified. Am I thinking right?

-Harsha

--
-Harsha