[alsa-devel] Acer Aspire 8920g / snd-hda-intel / ALC889

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue May 6 00:06:50 CEST 2008

> Build CONFIG_SND_HDA_HWDEP=y and you'll have /dev/snd/hwC0D0 device.
> With the hda-verb program in the URL below, you can exec the verb on
> the fly:
> 	ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/tiwai/misc/hda-verb-0.2.tar.bz2

Thanks for the hints and the applet... after some meddling around I
found the magic incantations to fire up the amp / speakers on this
laptop are to force model=acer-aspire in /etc/modprobe.conf, then using
the applet from the URL quoted above:

./hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x15 SET_EAPD_BTLENABLE 2

I confirmed stereo operation...  it doesn't react to headphone
insertion, plays audio through speakers and headphone jack in that case.
    Didn't try 5.1 (this laptop has a 5.1 speaker set) yet but I
wouldn't be surprised if that was trouble too.  Still this is waaaay
better than silence!  Thanks again for the help.

-Andy