[alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

Bob Tracy rct at frus.com
Sun Mar 30 07:18:14 CEST 2008

Rene Herman wrote:
> Lovely, so different problem between you and Bob. When you (either of you)
> have some time for it again, could you try:
>
> $ sox asskickd.wav -w -t alsa hw

Tight loop at the beginning of the file: rapid continuous repeat of approx.
the first couple tenths of a second.  Hitting <ctrl>C caused playback to
advance to the next small section of the soundfile.  Further <ctrl>C's did
nothing I noticed: had to type <ctrl>\ to kill sox.

> $ sox asskickd.wav -w -r 44100 -t alsa hw

Several seconds of silence, followed by what sounded like continuous pitched
machine-gun fire.  Each <ctrl>C advanced through the file (the pitch of the
machine-gun fire changed slightly).  Still had to type <ctrl>\ to kill sox.

> $ sox asskickd.wav -w -r 44100 -c 2 -t alsa hw

Silence for longer than I had patience to wait :-).  Hitting <ctrl>C several
times finally got me to an even more rapid machine-gun fire than the previous
test.  As in the previous test, each <ctrl>C advanced further through the file,
although the perceived increment was smaller.  Still had to type <ctrl>\ to
kill sox.