[alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

Michael Cree mcree at orcon.net.nz
Tue Mar 25 00:56:04 CET 2008

Rene Herman wrote:
> On 23-03-08 11:40, Michael Cree wrote:
>
>> I have been able to run some tests.
>>
>> The es18xx and cmipci drivers work fine on the XP1000.  I base that
>> observation on using a variety of software, such as mplayer and mocp,
>> through both sound cards, mainly through oss, but also have tried
>> alsa, over the last year for es18xx and for the last three or four
>> months for cmipci.  (I have noted that the M-Audio Revolution 7.1
>> sound card with the ice1724 driver fails to work and causes system
>> crashes on the XP1000,
>> but that's a different discussion).
>
> Was there ever a follow-up in that thread? :
>
> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-March/006513.html

Takashi replied with a suggestion to disable MMAP in the ice1724 driver.
  I have been preoccupied with other things for the last couple of weeks
so haven't had a chance to try it out.

> There's a patch attached that disables mmap on MIATA. You and Bob seem
> to be experiencing problems of a different nature (or severity at the
> least) but for both of you it would be good to hear what applying this
> and then playing using "aplay -D hw foo.wav" (on the miata systems,
> ofcourse) brings.

I have applied the patch to the PWS600au.  Sound now works.  I can play
8bit and 16bit sound files through the es1887 and the C-Media CM8738.
They are both working fine.  I managed to get a 32bit sound file to play
through the M-Audio Revolution too. (Though another 32bit sound file
just produces silence through the M-Audio Rev. Haven't been able to
establish why - the file looks fine to me.)  Repeated playing of files
doesn't cause any problems.

I can't get sox's play to work (reports no mmap support, which is, of
course, quite true).  I don't know how to tell sox to use the equivalent
of alsa's hw device.  So I can't do the test on short files that Bob was
  performing.

At this stage I've run out of time to test the M-Audio Rev in the XP1000
and see if the MMAP disable patch help there.

Michael.