[alsa-devel] [RFC] [Patch 1/2] Add virtual master control

Daniel Jacobowitz drow at false.org
Sat Mar 22 20:15:51 CET 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 05:31:21PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Thanks.  This kind of change is basically good to apply, I think, but
> a couple of things related are in my mind:
>
> - other AC97 codecs need similar hacks, so it could be done
>   cleaner (in a more generic way) than in each patch_*()?
> - headphone and line-out have the similar issue - it's handled as a
>   bind-control right now, though
> - what about if the device actually uses only two channels although
>   codec supports more than two?  Then the additional master control
>   makes little sense.  But, we have no way to know it from the codec
>   itself.  Another quirk table?  That's to be avoided...
>
> Since this is a non-urgent fix and I'll be on vacation for three weeks
> from tomorrow, I'd like to keep this pending unless other developers
> want to put this in.  Is it OK?

Fine with me.  I don't think I can make broader changes than this
kind, because I don't know much about AC97; maybe there can be a flag
on recognized codecs saying which channels the front volume really
controls?

I noticed that the PCM mixer also only affected my front speakers.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery