[alsa-devel] Same pci id for different ASUS machine

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Mar 19 15:45:58 CET 2008

At Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:57:41 +0000,
Mark Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 06:12:14PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Andy Shevchenko wrote:
>
> > > example? Could we make more flex configuration in the ALSA instead of
> > > hardcoded model= in the modprobe.conf?
>
> > Windows have *.INI files so that they can ignore broken BIOS.  Or in
> > other way round - due to this, the hardware vendors never ship the
> > correct BIOS!
>
> Worse, fixing the BIOS would probably break driver level workarounds :/

No, in the case HD-audio, it won't normally.  The driver level
workarounds are simply to override (thus ignore) the BIOS
definitions and use the static configuration.

> > I have patches to make some stuff dynamically re-configurable,
> > e.g. overriding the default pin-config or additional verbs together
> > with some hints to the parser, which can be set up via udev etc.
>
> I guess the kernel could do the quirking for most cases by using DMI
> information to identify the broken BIOSes, though there are obvious
> advantages to user space workarounds so it may not be worth it for
> something like sound which is unlikely to be needed to boot.

The quirks have been already there in HD-audio driver.  But the
problem is that there are far too many.  That's why we need a better,
more flexible approach now, adjustable from the user-space after