[alsa-devel] no front speaker sound with ALC262

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Mar 18 14:24:32 CET 2008

At Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:11:47 -0400,
Matthew R Hurne wrote:

> Tobin Davis wrote:
> > Ok, it looks like it may be a couple of weeks out, but they are more
> > than happy to get me a unit.  Their sales staff has been bugging for
> > Linux support for 6 months apparently.
> >
> > In the mean time, if you can get me that output, I can at least start
> > making a dent on this.  From the photo, it looks like you have a speaker
> > jack (green) , line-in (blue), and mic (pink), plus speakers and mic
> > built in?  I'll review the online documents again to be sure.
> >
> > Tobin
>
> We put some pressure on Tangent to get Linux audio working, and the tech. support guys I spoke with were clearly clueless.  :-(
>
> I have attached the relevant output from dmesg, and a new alsa-info.sh output.

In your case, the driver cannot work as is because the hardware tells
that you have no speaker output.  It's a bug of BIOS.

As mentioned in the earlier mail, then you'll have to figure out which
pin corresponds to the speaker output actually manually by trial and
error.  This requires some least knowledge of HD-audio codec.  See
HD-audio documentation available on intel or other web sites.

Regarding the words you listed: the HD-audio codec contains small
components (called widgets) that are connected with each other.  Each
widget has a unique number id (NID) and has a different role, such as
DAC/ADC, mixer, selector, pin (the actual I/O), etc.  Each widget can
get/set certain commands, called verbs.  You can see the widgets on
your codec in the codec#* proc file output in alsa-info.sh output.