[alsa-devel] PATCH - ESI Juli driver

Pavel Hofman pavel.hofman at insite.cz
Mon Mar 17 10:37:22 CET 2008

>> I did not want to copy/paste any algorithmical code from ice1724.c to
>> juli.c as it complicates future maintenance. Now, the vt1724 code in
>> ice1724.c is pretty much about general algorhitms, specific routines are
>> in stdclock_... I tested the original clock with Prodigy192 which
>> provided testing analog/SPDIF signals. There are no functional changes.
>
> I see the point that you want to make it generic.  But, too many
> callbacks, in other words, too many tuning parameters make the code
> difficult to follow.  It's a question of balance.

Takashi, I understand your concern. On the other hand, if the callbacks
are well documented, it actually makes the code easier to follow, as it
separates general algorithms from detailed HW implementation. I can
certainly add more comments to the callback functions.

Honestly, I do not know which callbacks to remove (apart of those two
not redefined in Juli). Otherwise I will have to copy/paste serious
portions of code to juli.c which I would really want to avoid.

As I see it, the clocking code in ice1724 was written for one specific
implementation. There was no need to do so in a general way and I
completely understand that. Nevertheless, juli uses a different clock
implementation and I believe the time has come to make the code in
ice1724 more general. Unfortunately, I do not know of any other
technology but callbacks.

What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Pavel.