[alsa-devel] AK4114 - capturing spdif input stops the stream

Pavel Hofman pavel.hofman at insite.cz
Fri Mar 14 18:15:00 CET 2008

Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> Takashi, thanks for the patch, it works flawlessly.
>
> OK, now committed to HG tree.

Thanks a lot. I will just resolve the conflicts now :)

>> Another issue - when the external clock changes rate and the stream is
>> running (typically when starting the source playback which switches the
>> source card (and its SPDIF-OUT) to a different frequency), the target
>> card detects the change and the capture stream is stopped in
>> snd_ak4114_check_rate_and_errors() by
>>
>> snd_pcm_stop(ak4114->capture_substream, SNDRV_PCM_STATE_DRAINING);
>>
>> How should recording applications behave with stream in this mode? I
>> would expect arecord to close, but it does nothing. Is this correct
>> behaviour?
>
> It's supposed to be drained then stopped.  Maybe something wrong in
> the handling of DRAINING state in the capture direction.
>
> Anyway, it's a bit strange situation as is.  Since the sample rate is
> changed, you can't call simply prepare again like normal errors...

I would expect arecord to quit with some relevant message. In larger
recording apps, e.g. Audacity, it should probably stop recording and
display a warning message. No idea if the controlled stop with an
appropriate error message is feasible with the existing API and code.

Thanks,

Pavel Hofman.