[alsa-devel] [patch 0/2] PNP: disable PNP motherboard resources that overlap PCI BARs

Thomas Renninger trenn at suse.de
Wed Mar 12 00:14:18 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 15:24 -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> The following two patches fix several problems caused by BIOSes that
> report PNP motherboard device resources that overlap with PCI BARs.
>
> I think these should go in before 2.6.25 because some of these problems
> showed up in 2.6.24 when we increased PNP_MAX_MEM from 4 to 12, and
> there's no good way to work around them.

I cannot judge about the "cleanness" because of possible changes of
initialization time of pci/pnp or whatever.

I can confirm that ACPI resource declarations (especially (only?) in the
general motherboard devices) are often rather broken.
Therefore I like your general approach compared to the per machine dmi
match quirks. I expect the latter (dmi matching) is rather hopeless.

   Thomas