[alsa-devel] M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card causing crash on Alpha

Michael Cree mcree at orcon.net.nz
Thu Mar 6 20:52:03 CET 2008

On 6/03/2008, at 11:18 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Wed, 05 Mar 2008 21:14:23 +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
>>
>> I recently installed a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card into DEC/
>> Compaq
>> Alpha XP1000, and it is causing crashes and complete lock ups of the
>> computer when I attempt to play sound through the sound card.

>>   This seems to be a bug possibly specific to the Alpha
>> architecture.
>>
>> Any ideas as to the problem?
>
> The oops looks related with mmap.  Maybe alpha doesn't support the
> mmap of coherent DMA pages like intel architectures allow?
>
> Try to disable mmap support in the driver once - e.g. comment out
> SNDRV_PCM_INFO_MMAP in struct snd_pcm_hardware.info fields found in
> ice1724.c.

I see that there is also a SNDRV_PCM_INFO_MMAP_VALID flag in the
initialisations of the snd_pcm_hardware.info field.  Should I comment
that out too?

May be a few days before I can test this out - I have just realised
that a couple of my disk partitions are corrupted; I suspect one of
the crashes of the audio driver is the explanation.  I will have to
restore from a backup first before continuing testing.

Michael.