[alsa-devel] ALSA and SALSA install

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Mar 6 17:26:52 CET 2008

At Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:41:33 +0000,
Alan Horstmann wrote:

> Following on from thread 'Problems with ALSA in embedded device', running code
> such as aplay with both ALSA and SALSA libs.
>
> Is there a way to install both at the same time, so on a PC code can be
> compiled and experimented with first -lasound and then -lsalsa without
> alternately re-installing the libraries with make install?

Right now, no.  SALSA-lib provides only the source-level API
compatibility, not binary compatibility at all.  The reason is that
the binary-compatibility would expand the size of library greatly.
As its name suggests, "small and spicy" is the advantage of SALSA :)

Of course, it'd be welcome if someone writes a patch to add the
binary-compatibility feature, but it must be still optional.

BTW, I proposed SALSA in the last thread because a static library was
in the question.