[alsa-devel] HDMI v. ICH8 on Dell XPS M1330

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Wed Mar 5 01:54:58 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 4:44 AM, Jiang zhe <zhe.jiang at intel.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 06:59 +0800, Tobin Davis wrote:
>  > It is possible that HDMI audio is pulled from an unknown i2c bus on
>  > the
>  > video chip.  3dfx did that a long time ago with their 3500 card for
>  > their tv tuner portion.
>  >
>  > I think at this point, unless Steven knows more, this may be
>  > unsupported
>  > until nVidia adds support in their driver or opens up part of the
>  > spec.
>  >
>  I googled some info about the nvidia G84** or G86** graphics core.
>  They got the audio signal from the external audio device through spdif.
>
>  For Dell M1330, the spdif configuration for the stac92** codec looks
>  well, maybe the graphic driver can control whether the audio signal is
>  allowed to transfer through the HDMI port?

In addition to anecdotal evidence, I can confirm that on my work
machine the ATI video driver does seem to touch the audio.
Interestingly it's the userspace X driver, not the in-kernel FGLRX
module.

rlrevell at chronopolis:~$ strings
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so | grep -i hdmi | grep -i
audio
ex_aHDMIAudioParameters

Isn't DRM fun? ;-)

Lee