[alsa-devel] ALSA with Ubuntu 8.04

Ben Stanley Ben.Stanley at exemail.com.au
Sat Jun 28 15:15:28 CEST 2008

I happened to be in this territory a couple of nights ago... so here's a
summary of what I learned.

The priority order for the case of multiple modules with the same name
may be controlled by modifying /etc/depmod.conf .

As Takashi says, and quoting from `man depmod.conf`:

By default, depmod will give a higher priority  to  a  directory
with  the  name  updates  using  this  built-in  search  string:
"updates built-in" but more complex  arrangements  are  possible
and are used in several popular distributions.

Other directories may be given priority by specifying your own search
line as follows:
in /etc/depmod.conf
search my-custom-drivers updates built-in

After installing a new module (and perhaps manually running depmod), you
can check which module will actually be used with
grep my-module-name /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep

This takes out all the guesswork and makes success a 'sure thing' :-) .

Ben Stanley.