[alsa-devel] No sound on MacBook 3.1

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Jun 26 10:09:56 CEST 2008

At Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:02:02 +0100,
Marco Vermeulen wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 07:51 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > It'd be helpful if we can share the solution in a bit more details...
> >

> > thanks,
> >
> > Takashi
>
> Sure, no problem. The MacBook in question is the black model, version
> 3.1. The lspci dump of the sound card is as follows:
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD
> Audio Controller [8086:284b] (rev 03)
>         Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Device [106b:00a1]
>         Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
>         Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 256 bytes
>         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 20
>         Region 0: Memory at d0700000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
> [size=16K]
>         Capabilities: <access denied>
>         Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>         Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
>
> On comparing my dump with Leonardo's I found that they were identical.
> Now I knew that it could be done.
>
> I then added the following line to my /etc/modprobe.d/sound file:
> options snd_hda_intel model=mbp3
>
> This worked fine on openSuse 11.0, but I simply could not get the same
> thing to work on Ubuntu Hardy. Perhaps the mactel patches were not
> applied to the kernel or something?

I guess so.  openSUSE 11.0 has the backport of HD-audio codes from
2.6.26 and fixes.

> Apart from that, the volume still seems to be very low, but sound
> quality is perfect.
>
> Hope that sheds some light on it all,

There is already a quirk for your device, but maybe it's a wrong
value.  Could you run alsa-info.sh with --no-upload option and attach
the generated file for a more comprehensive information?
The script is found in /usr/share/doc/packages/alsa on openSUSE 11.0,
or http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh

thanks,