[alsa-devel] ECS K7VTA3: Mixer channels reversed

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 02:08:02 CEST 2008

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:15:05 -0700,
> walt wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I just replaced a mobo with an ECS K7VTA3 and I find that the
>> Headphones control is now controlling the master channel and the
>> Master control does nothing.
>>
>> I tried 'modprobe via82xx ac97_quirk=hp_only' but that makes the
>> audio device unusable (although alsamixer still seems happy to set
>> the individual channels).
>
> You mean that you don't hear any outputs?  Which I/O (HP out,
> line-out, etc) are you testing?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that RealAudio player complains that it
"cannot open the audio device. Another application may be using it."

However, I just tried mplayer, which *does* work normally and the
master channel also works properly again.

So it seems that hp_only works, but only partly.  Any idea why
RealPlayer is complaining?

>>   Any other quirks I should try?
>
> Usually hp_only is the right choice.  Check alsa-info.sh script
> outputs for both cases with and without ac97_quirk option.

Most of that info means nothing to me, so all I can do is point you
the results, sorry:

without hp_only
http://pastebin.ca/1056077

and with hp_only: