[alsa-devel] ALSA with Ubuntu 8.04

Tobin Davis tdavis at dsl-only.net
Thu Jun 26 02:01:27 CEST 2008

Actually, the best practice is to install your new drivers
in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates/sound.  depmod will automatically
detect these as newer than the other modules.  This is how I test new
alsa builds on my test platforms.

The sound modules in linux-ubuntu-modules are modified from the stock
version of alsa that comes with the kernel in Ubuntu.  The patches are
NOT for release into upstream alsa, as they have already been submitted
and are in 1.0.16 and later (I know, I wrote them).

Tobin Davis

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 11:47 +1200, Eliot Blennerhassett wrote:

> This just an FYI
>
> In Ubuntu 8.04, ubuntu has packaged alsa-drivers including some out of
> tree drivers in a separate package: linux-ubuntu-modules-$kernelver
>
> This gets installed in /lib/modules/$kernelver/ubuntu/sound
>
> The only things installed in /lib/modules/$kernelver/sound are
> soundcore.ko and ac97_bus.ko
>
> However, when you do a default "make install" from alsa-driver source,
> the modules get installed in /lib/modules/$kernelver/kernel/sound
>
> So, now there are 2 copies of the drivers in different places.
>
> I have taken to removing (moving away to say /root)
> /lib/modules/$kernelver/ubuntu/sound to avoid any confusion and some odd
> module versioning problems that I was having.
>
> regards
>
> Eliot.

Tobin Davis

Leela: "There it is, the near-death star."