[alsa-devel] support for RME HDSPe RayDAT

Matthijs ten Berge tenbergemh at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 20:35:25 CEST 2008

Hello all,

<intro:>
As you might already know, RME has released a successor for the HDSP
9652, the HDSPe RayDAT
(http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_raydat.php). It is based on
the 9652's design, with some new/changed features (e.g. more channels
and lower latencies), but the most important hardware change is that it
is now a PCI-express card.

I'm currently in the process of choosing which audio interface to buy,
the 'old' HDSP 9652 or the new RayDAT (I haven't found any other card
with 3 or more ADAT in/outs in the same price range or below, but
suggestions are welcome).
Of course I can stay on the safe side and opt for the HDSP 9652, which
has stable and complete driver support (right, eh?).
But on the other hand the RayDAT has better features and future, but
without the guarantee that it is or will be supported it can only serve
as a very costly paper weight (and not even a good one I suppose).

I wrote an e-mail to RME, but a bit too early, the card was not released
at that moment. See below for their reply.

<question:>
Are there any plans to add support for the RME RayDAT to the HDSP
driver/tools? Or perhaps somebody is already working on it right now? It
is not mentioned in the Wiki matrix atm.
I wish I could just do it myself, but (concerning kernel programming) I
never did more than a 'hello world' kernel module, so I don't think this
would be a good idea... (I do have coding experience, but not in-kernel).