[alsa-devel] Still have choppy audio using 1.0.17

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Jun 25 18:06:02 CEST 2008

At Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:24:33 -0300,
Gustavo da Silva Serra wrote:

> If I keep the difference between the playback and capture pointers at
> one period, no choppy audio occurs. If the difference is 0, 2 or 5
> periods for example, choppy audio will always occur. Any ideas why?

Through a quick look at the code, it's likely the problem of the
timing of timer handlers for playback/capture streams.  In the current
code, the timer handlers are invoked individually.

One possible fix would be to force to synchronize the updates of both
directions instead of individual timers.  That is, share the same
timer for the connected streams so that the update order is
guaranteed.

Just my $0.02.