[alsa-devel] note on Suse 10.3 build

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Jun 23 12:43:48 CEST 2008

At Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:50:24 -0700,
randall wrote:

> Takashi writes:
>
> > You did something wrong, if the changes you did are really only the
> > above ones.
> >
> > Did you try alsa-driver-kmp package on openSUSE BS multimedia:audio
> > repo?
>
> Yes, made no difference.
>
> This morning I carefully built the kernel step-by-step and found that changing
> this parameter in config for the kernel enabled my Nvidia MCP61 sound card to
> work:
>
> CONFIG_SND_SOC =m

This is really weird because ASoC has nothing to do with your sound
device.  Thus I highly suspect that it's just a coincidence,
especially if the hardware works just after recompiling the kernel.
In general, you don't have to rebuild the kernel at all.

Make sure the following before testing:

- You have no other snd* modules in the module path.
- You have no backup files or files with unknown extensions in
  /etc/modprobe.d/ directory.

For getting a clean state, try the following:

- Uninstall kernel*.rpm package first
- Remove /lib/modules/2.6.* directory
- Remove suspicious /etc/modprobe.d/* files
  Check "rpm -qf /etc/modprobe.d/*".  Some files like ipv6, sound and
  tv are created by YaST.  Remove all backup files there.
- Re-install kernel*.rpm package again
  Check /boot/grub/menu.lst just to be sure

Now, check /etc/modprobe.d/sound file and make sure that you have the
right options.  This is a very important point.  In doubt, show the
whole content of this file.

Then reboot.  Check /proc/asound/cards and see whether the right
device appears there at first.  If not, it's likely a problem of index
module option.