[alsa-devel] Listing raw midi devices "The Right Way"?

Jacob Ole Juul Kolding dacobi at juvul.com
Wed Jun 18 17:43:45 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 16:27 +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Jacob Ole Juul Kolding wrote:
> > I already found a code example that reads raw midi packages form a
> > specified device but I need to have a complete list of ALL raw midi
> > capable devices and ports on the system.
> >
> > What is the "Right Way" for an app to build such a list?
>
> See the source code of amidi.
>
> You probably should be using the sequencer instead of the raw MIDI
> interface, in which case look at the source code of arecordmidi.

I'm not sure if sequencer is to high level,
all i need is a way to capture all incoming midi events
which then will be placed in an existing database system.

Currently in OS X and in windows I have a callback that reads each
midi event for each port as a list of 3 bytes which are then added to a
C++ STL vector for later processing.

How could something similar be done with alsa?

/Jacob Kolding