[alsa-devel] Still have choppy audio using 1.0.17

Gustavo da Silva Serra gustavo.serra at tet.com.br
Mon Jun 16 22:04:56 CEST 2008

I have been trying for many weeks to solve this problem, but with no
success. After updating to Alsa 1.0.17, which include changes to aloop,
I still have choppy audio. I will try to summarize what happens:

- I need to use aloop, if I change to a sound card all the problems are
gone;
- After some time of continuous play, applications start to reproduce
choppy audio. Choppy audio doesn't happens all the time;
- If I repeatedly start and stop my sound capture application choppy
audio occur sooner;
- Start/stop my application restores the sound quality (after some tryies);
- This happens with ALSA applications (xine, vlc) and OSS emulated;
- I have tryied many period_size and buffer_size in asound.conf, now I
am using 960 for period and 3840 for buffer. As I decrease period size,
the audio quality improves, but choppy audio still happens;
- I test for overrun but no errors occur.
- I am using block mode, interleaved, 44100, 16 bit, 2 channels
- I am using dmix, dsnoop, removing them does not correct the audio

These are some of the information I have, I don't know if is is enough.
If necessary I can provide any other information.
What do you suggest that I do? Are there any known issues or
configuration requirements?

Thanks in advance.