[alsa-devel] hda-intel on Asus M2N-X Plus NVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 430 mobo

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Mon Jun 16 20:54:12 CEST 2008

On Monday 16 June 2008 20:27, stan wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I've just built a new machine, and expected problems with the onboard
> > soundcard, and also have problems with the onboard NIC, but that's
> > another problem, which is resolved by installing my last remaining
> > realtek 8139 PCI card.
>
> Is the sound device enabled in BIOS?  And I'm surprised that your NIC
> isn't working.  Those are
> almost generic these days.

Hi Stan. I don't want to check the BIOS at the mo, as I'm DL'ing a load of
updates for F8 on this machine, but I'm pretty sure that the sounds are
enabled. I wil check this though.

I googled a bit for the NIC problem with the MCP61 chipset, and did see
someones lspci listing Ethernet against a MCP61 entry, but I have no such
entry. Anyway, a possible fix for the sounds would be nice.

> > Anyway the mobo is an Asus M2N-X Plus NVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 430, and
> > the Southbridge (which appears to handle allsorts of stuff) is MCP61.
> >
> > the specs for the soundcard from the Asus site are below.
> > ALC662 6-Channel High Definition Audio Azalia CODEC
> > Support Jack-Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-streaming
> > S/PDIF out on back I/O port
>
> Did a search in the driver source and the azalia is mentioned in the
> hda-intel.c module.  Using hg snapshot of 20080520.
>
> > This is using the Fedora 8 distro, which has alsa driver 1.0.15, and is
> > probably a bit old.
>
> Yeah, probably a good idea to upgrade this.  Did you notice that
> jaroslav had just posted the 1.0.17rc2 link?

Yes I saw that. When the updates for F8 have finished, I'll DL, and install
the latest driver

> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Changes_v1.0.17rc1_v1.0.17rc2
>
> > The card is not detected at bootup, but I did a modprobe snd-hda-intel,
> > using various model options. the modules were loaded, but a cat
> > /proc/asound/cards showed "no soundcards detected"
>
> If you do a search in the dmesg output for intel or hda or snd or alsa
> or azalia does anything turn up?

Don't get anything from any of them, just returned to the command prompt

> > I don't want to waste too much time on this onboard card, and will
> > probably buy a cheap well supported card, just to get some sounds on this
> > new machine. All the same I've run the alsa-info.sh script, and the link
> > is below.
> >
> > http://pastebin.ca/1048647
>
> The modules showing here are not from bootup, but are manually installed?

Yes. lsmod had no alsa stuff loaded after bootup. I modprobed snd-hda-intel,
and the alsa modules were loaded, but cat /proc/asound/cards showed "no
soundcards"