[alsa-devel] Maximum buffer size on HDA

Lennart Poettering mznyfn at 0pointer.de
Mon Jun 16 14:37:41 CEST 2008

On Mon, 16.06.08 14:29, Jaroslav Kysela (perex at perex.cz) wrote:

> > > Which workaround you're talking about?
> >
> > Reset a proc file manually like the above.  Without this, you cannot
> > allocate the buffer over the pre-allocated size.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you like to change. Make 1MB limit smaller? Or
> change the default preallocated size? Or remove preallocation? I think
> that it might make sense to increase the default preallocation value to
> 128KB or 192KB.

For PulseAudio it would be of big benefit if we could change the
default in a way the for the highest sensible sampling rate/number of
channels/sample type we'd always be able to get a two-second
buffer. Windows and Mac use 2s of buffer by default, and I think it
would make sense for PulseAudio to do that too.

i.e. if the soundcard can do 2ch/16bit/44100hz at best I'd like to
have a buffer size of up to 344KB; if the soundcard can to
5.1/32bit/48000 at best then i'd like to have a buffer of up to 2.2MB
or so.

Lennart