[alsa-devel] alsa and 2.6.25.4 kernel

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Jun 16 12:35:12 CEST 2008

At Fri, 13 Jun 2008 19:02:40 +0200,
linuxconsole at free.fr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't play sound or use mixer with alsa on 2.6.25.4 kernel.
>
> I tried all alsa-libs (1.16, 1.17rc1, hg) without success.
>
> the file /proc/asound/cards is :
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
>                       HDA NVidia at 0xf0100000 irq 18
>
>  strace -e open amixer :

> open("/dev/snd/controlC0", O_RDONLY)    = -1 ENODEV (No such device)
> open("/dev/aloadC0", O_RDONLY)          = -1 ENODEV (No such device)
>
> ls -l /dev/snd/controlC0
> crw-rwxrw- 1 root users 116, 0 Aug 23  2004 /dev/snd/controlC0
>

> what happens ???

My wild guess is that the device file doesn't match with the kernel
setting.  You can build ALSA drivers with dynamic minor numbers.  In
this case, the minor numbers of device files are assigned dynamically,
and thus the device files must be handled via udev.  If you have
static device files with different numbers, this won't match
properly.