[alsa-devel] What does snd_pcm_delay() actually return?

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Fri Jun 13 12:14:26 CEST 2008

Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>

>> - Add some new API functions,
>>

> I would prefer to extend the current API than to change meaning of hw_ptr
> to handle extra latencies.

I would prefer the definition of snd_pcm_delay() to be:
Before the next sample is written to the buffer, snd_pcm_delay() returns
the expect time delay, in frames, indicating the time the next sample
will reach the speakers.
This is what snd_pcm_delay() was introduced into the ALSA api for. I
remember, because it was added as a result of me requesting it.

Then implement a totally different api call to help with under run timings.

James