[alsa-devel] Names for ALSA controls

Juergen Beisert jbe at pengutronix.de
Fri Jun 13 12:08:31 CEST 2008

On Thursday 12 June 2008 12:29, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:58:19 +0200,
> Juergen Beisert wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when I register these mixer controls:
> >
> > Line Playback Switch
> > Line Playback Route
> > Mono Playback Switch
> > Mono Playback Route
> > Phone Playback Switch
> > Phone Playback Route
> > Headphone Playback Switch
> > Headphone Playback Route
> > PCM Playback Switch
> > PCM Playback Volume
> > Line Bypass Capture Switch
> > Line Bypass Capture Volume
> > ADC Capture Route
> >
> > Running "alsamixer" fails with:
> >
> >  ALSA lib simple_none.c:1218:(simple_add1) helem (MIXER,'Headphone
> > Playback Switch',0,0,0) appears twice or more
> >
> > It seems there are restrictions what kind of control name I can use for
> > each control, but what restrictions? Are there better names for my output
> > amplifiers? Each of it I can enable/disable (-> Switch) and select a
> > source (-> Route) independently.
>
> You can use "xxx Source" instead of "xxx Route", I guess, as a
> workaround.

I changed my controls to a single enumerated type instead of a switch and
route. Now with shown words like "Off", "Source1", "Source2" its easier to
understand, what this control does. Thanks for your hint.

Juergen

--
Dipl.-Ing. Juergen Beisert | http://www.pengutronix.de
    Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686