[alsa-devel] Vendor support in Alsa Drivers

Emmanuel Kasper emmanuel at libera.cc
Thu Jun 12 09:41:36 CEST 2008

Takashi Iwai a écrit :
> At Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:49:24 +0200,
> Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
>> Hello
>> With a couple of other french folks, we are building a kind of webshop
>> for Linux/FreeBSD compatible hardware. We will reference only devices
>> which work with a free driver, so no nvidia binary thingie or atheros
HAL.
>> Based on the information found  on  the alsa wiki we plan to reference
>> the following sound devices:
>>
>> M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 (  snd-ice1712 driver )
>> Terratec AUREON 5.1
>> M-Audio Fast Track usb
>> Hercules Muse Pocket LT
>> Ion TTUSB usb turnable ( these 4 working with snd-usb-driver )
>>
>> We would be also interested to indicate on each product description, if
>> the vendor of the product, or the chipset maker for that matters had
>> been helpful with developers trying to write a free driver. So for the
>> devices mentionned above, was any of the vendor helpful by providing
>> programming documentation or sample hardware ?
>
> We have a good contact with M-Audio.  The above two devices were
> provided once for testing by M-Audio indeed.
>
> The datasheet is another question -- for USB devices, it's often
> harder than PCI devices (by unknown reasons).

Then I will label M-audio devices "friendly".

> Terratec Aureon 5.1 (which model, BTW?) isn't well tested by
> developers.  We had once good contact with Terratec, and lost again.

Sorry I dropped a part of the name.
The vendor name is Terratec AUREON 5.1 USB MKII.

> AFAIK, no one had a contact with Hercules.
> I don't know about Ion.  Possibly Clemens had any contact?
> But, if the USB device works "as is", then it's all fine, even without
> a datasheet or a test device.  It means that the device is compliant
> to USB-standard protocol.  The bad case is that the device requires
> special vendor-specific protocols (often called "advanced mode").

From what I have seen the Hercules Muse Pocket LT and the Ion TTUSB usb
turnable both work "as is".
I think I'm going to label "friendly" standard usb sound devices which
work "as is"  without requiring an entry in usbquirks.h
(which does not mean the opposite will mean automatically "unfriendly" )

Thanks for these informations and also for people who replied to me
off-list.

--
Emmanuel Kasper
System Administrator