[alsa-devel] git workflow for casual developers

Eliot Blennerhassett linux at audioscience.com
Thu Jun 5 06:57:22 CEST 2008

Hi all,

So. we are now using git repositories. I'd better find out how to use git...

I plan to turn responses to this into a howto here
http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/GIT_Server
I.e. what should someone do who is going to clone the repo, make a few
changes, then email patches to a maintainer + alsa-devel?

0) clone the repository
    git clone git://git.alsa-project.org/alsa-driver.git alsa-driver
    git clone git://git.alsa-project.org/alsa-kmirror.git alsa-kmirror

What should I do next if I want to make some changes?
Here's what I did, or discovered I should have done :(

1) git-config --add user.email me at domain.com
Otherwise commits get spurious email address for Author and Commiter (is there
any way to fix this after the fact?)

2) should I create a branch in my cloned repo for my changes, or just go ahead
and commit?
(I didn't create a branch)

3)  How do I generate patches for my changes to the repo?
Luckily for me there was a tag that was close enough so I could
git-diff v1.0.17rc1

Should I really have used this as the "revision"?
git-diff remotes/origin/master

Then do this to generate the patchset
git-format-patch -s -n -p --subject-prefix="PATCH - my module" v1.0.17rc1

4) Check the patches
/lib/modules/2.6.24-17-generic/build/scripts/checkpatch.pl --no-tree *.patch

5) Sending the patches
Make sure it knows how to send
git-config --add sendemail.smtpserver smtp.domain.com

git-send-email --from=me --to=tiwai at suse.de --cc=alsa-devel at alsa-project.org
000*.patch

6) OK, what have I missed?

regards