[alsa-devel] app-internal volume control

Wolfgang Rosenauer wolfgang at rosenauer.org
Tue Jul 29 11:00:47 CEST 2008

Hi,

might be a dumb question for people knowing the externals of Alsa but
I'm not sure :-(

What is the best practice to control the volume of a Linux application?
I could control Alsa'x mixer for Master or PCM but that looks like a bad
thing to do since it changes the volume for every other app as well.

Is there another mixer I could use which is application specific?
Or do I need to implement an application internal filter to control the
volume by modifying the audio stream?

Thanks,
  Wolfgang